Bay Area Čtivo:)
It was 1988, Baloff’s Hell House on San Pablo was in full effect,
four floors of skidly, debautchery. Exodus’s Pleasures of the Flesh had
been out for barely a year, Metallica’s Garage Day’s Re-Visited was
months old and they had just finished …and Justice For All, Faith No
More (Cliff Burton doing his best to turn us on to them) was soon to
have Mike Patton, Chuck Billy ditched his cut up spandex in Guilt (or
Diamond?)and dawned all black, a new vocalist to Testament. Mordred was
emerging from the SF scene, Sacrilege B.C. and Possessed were defining
the heavier side of the Bay. Blind Illusion was like the Bay Area
version of Rush from which Les Claypool, Brian Kehoe, & David White
Godfrey would go on to make their marks in the music world. Everyone
had Mercyful Fates, Melissa in their tape player. Eddie Van Halen and
George Lynch guitar tones ruled rock and Hetfield’s signature rhythm
crunch was cherished by metal guitarists. The SF Bay Area was in full
effect.
All we cared about was partying hard, jamming and girls. Ego’s
and guitar tone set the standard. Speed, weed and alcohol were more
common than food. Unknowing newcomers would lose cameras, microphones,
purses etc. to the house to further ones sustainance. It was a band
urban survival compound. Dealers had the clout, but dare pass out, they
would wake up without their precious stash. It was like the heavy metal
version of Lord of the Flies. Hetfield, Jim Martin, Jason Newsted and a
like would always hang out and jam. Ruthie’s Inn in Berkeley where
Slayer had debuted in make-up and Suicidal Tendencies made their Bay
Area impact was winding down, but The Stone in S.F. and The Omni in
Oakland were big parties. If it was a glam show or a metal show, there
were always five hundred to one thousand people in attendance. Nice.
These were times of our lives.
This whole East Bay scene was such a hot spot for metal with
Metallica, Exodus, Laaz Rockit, Ruffians, Death Angel, Testament,
Forbidden, & Ulysess Siren. Interestingly enough I had gone to El
Cerrito High school with Paul Baloff (never saw him), Headbanger
Richard Burch, Mark Whittaker, who had co produced Metallica’s first
two releases, Laaz Rockit’s Aaron Jellum, and East Bay guitar wizard
Brian Kehoe (Mirv, Jerry Cantrell, Kehoe Nation, did my first ever gig
with him as well). I bought my first bass amp from Les Claypool as he
graduated from Blind Illusion to Primus. Greenday were kids only miles
away getting ready to take the world by surprise. Work defining punk
bands like Attitude Adjustment were kicking ass, pumping out multiple
vinyl releases. Must be something in the water in the East Bay…crank?
I had already moved on from Heathen, and was jamming with some
cool dudes from Brazil (one dude Eddie who became Sepultura’s road
manager for a while) and was living with Rob McKillop the bass player
of Exodus in Berkeley. I started playing with Piranha after I noticed
their bass player at a Testament show at the Stone was struggling.
After checking them out at the Berkeley Hell House rehearsal. I
realized their bass player Al Voltage was actually a very good
guitarist… I talked to the band, auditioned and did well securing my
spot. I was very Iron Maiden influenced at the time. In fact after the
photo shoot by Tony Mottram which is the main photo here, I took Tony,
Bruce Dickinson and a couple others out for a ride in my firebird.
Bruce took us to sushi in S.F. and gave me 20 guest spots at the
Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View. I assured Bruce I would bring
lots of girls… Man what memories…
Paul Baloff: 1960-2002 Vocals…this is the most comprehensive
most accurate record of Paul’s life
www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/interviews/baloff.htm
Al Voltage: 1965-2000? Lead Guitar. Al Voltage (Alan Breed) had
left the East Coast, stealing his rich dads credit card to “make it in
the Bay Area metal scene.” He stopped by Florida to surf for a week,
then headed out to the Bay Area where he took small jobs as a cashier,
till tapping to supply his party habit. Al did take a few lessons from
Joe Satriani. Working in Piranha introduced him to Spastik Children
where he did a few gigs on bass. He was a talented nice guy that
succumbed to heavy drug use and everthing that goes with it. We did go
on together to work in Laughing Dead for at least 6 years…Al passed
away in AZ trying to clean up his life…RIP brotha…I know you are
happier now..
Ron Shipes: Rhythm Guitar. Originally from Pacifica, relocated
to the East Bay Ron was a truly mellow nice person with a quirky
original rhythm style. Ron was the main song writer. After Piranha he
played in Contempt, Two Bit Thief, and Fueled. I worked at an
electronics store with him for 3 years. He also roadied for some big
local bands. Ron has recently guitar teched for Slayer and has steady
guitar tech work.
Fred “Rotten” Cotton: Drums. The alpha male of the group, Fred
was always making funny noises and clowning around. He was really good
friends with Hetfield then. That was how we got hooked up with James
producing our demo back then.
Eric Wong: Bass. www.myspace.com/theunjustone. I am writing all
of this just to help remember those wonderful party days. I will blog
the recording experience with James Hetfield, and the demise of this
line-up of Piranha with all our equipment being stolen at gunpoint,
band members taken hostage tied up and all…one day
There were many line-ups of Piranha, but this was the most high profile one. I will be blogging more experiences…one day
Cheers,
e
|